Thursday, July 14, 2011

Okay, so somebody explain to me how Google+ is better than Facebook.

Instapundit writes:

NOT AGAIN: The End Of Blogging. This time it’s ending because of Google+.


And, yeah, this headline he links seems just a touch overwrought:

Google+ Marks the End of Blogging as a Means of Personal Expression

When Internet-famous people are tearing down their blogs and pointing their domain names at their Google+ streams, is "web logging" dead?


Oh, my. How long has Google+ been around? Couple hours now? And it’s already killing off blogging as we know it!

It’s the most efficient virus ever!

Forgive me if I’m not quite ready to declare Google+ the conqueror of all things internet. I’ve been on it for...oh, about five minutes now. But. I honestly don’t see how it’s any better than Facebook.

The circles? Okay, so that’s nice. Facebook does that, too. Maybe Google+ has a better interface for it. It is pretty slick. If so, betcha Facebook comes up with something else that's slick. If people still don't like it as much, it'll at least partly be because Google+ is the new hotness, and people always like a new hotness.

I’m peripherally aware of some security/privacy concerns with Facebook. Wait two years. The same concerns will pop up in Google+.

In the meantime, Google+ works exactly like Facebook. It looks like Facebook. It does the things Facebook does. It’s really just a slightly different version of Facebook.

Am I wrong?

No comments:

Post a Comment